Picky Kids, Baby Eats, and More Hot Links

salad.jpgIt's good to get back on track with posting again. It's like normality has returned to my life. If only "normal" didn't get interrupted so frequently, I'd be totally back on schedule!

I may have disappeared for a couple weeks, but you can't keep me away from the Internet forever. Here's some stories that caught my eye recently.

New York Times - 6 Food Mistakes Parents Make
I'm not a parent, but I have been a teacher, so I know it's difficult to stick to your principles about the right way to do things with kids under pressure. I hope I'll be able to take a step back from the situation and keep calmly offering foods that elicit a "Yuck!" when I am a parent someday, but I'm not making any guarantees.

And on a related note:
New York Times - Momma, I'll Have Some of Whatever You're Having
You may or may not avoid growing a picky eater following this strategy, but you definitely will save some money steering clear of prepackaged baby foods.

Well Blog - Dieters Gain More Weight During Pregnancy
Parenting-related articles abound in the Times of late. The takeaway here is that pregnancy does not equal an unlimited pass for chips and ice cream. Eat a bit more, yes, definitely, but think of the baby and make nutritious choices.

Fit Fare - Wii Fit Diary
Check out Sarah Caron's ongoing story of getting fit with a Wii bit of help. (Surely I'm not the first to make that pun!)

Health - Eating to Control Cholesterol Levels
A succinct guide to the lifestyle changes you can make to lower your bad cholesterol without having to resort to a statin (and its accompanying side effects).

Eureka Alert - New study reveals higher protein breakfast may help dieters stay on track
You might call this the Egg McMuffin study, based on the multiple mentions of eggs and Canadian bacon, but it's the egg and pork industries behind this release, not McDonald's. Take it with a grain of salt (or hot sauce, if you prefer). (Via Hungry Girl.)

Poked & Prodded - Getting My Diabetic Day Off on the Wrong Foot
Continuing the breakfast theme . . . don't neglect to eat your breakfast! This post offers more evidence of the importance of packing said meal with protein as well as good carbs, if you found the last link less than convincing.

Photo: Colleen Fischer

Technorati Tags:
, ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

sp