Meals for the Week: Lasagna Frenzy

I had a craving for lasagna this week, though more for the fun of making it than necessarily for the eating of it. I made said lasagna for tonight's dinner, and I learned a lot about the making of this Italian casserole.

I've made it only once before, and after that time I almost swore off lasagna completely. Boiling the noodles before assembling the casserole is a pain . . . no, that's not it. It's storing the cooked noodles in between boiling and assembly that's just annoying. They're sticky and delicate, so stacking is out of the question. Ample counter space was a must.

Anyway, this time I tried flat, no-boil noodles, and they worked beautifully. Next time, I'll make the sauce a little less loose, as they didn't need a whole lot of moisture to cook.

I kept the lasagna on the healthy side by using only half a box of noodles, part-skim mozzarella, and fat-free cottage cheese (on sale!). I also drained off a lot of fat from the meat. Still, I kept my portion small because I know how indulgent a dish this is.

Monday
Lasagna
Salad
Onion rolls

Tuesday
Chicken fried rice
Salad

Wednesday
Sirloin pork chops braised in sauerkraut
Applesauce
Roasted potatoes

Thursday
Lemon chicken soup
Salad
Rolls

Friday
Pasta primavera
Salad
Bread

Saturday
Turkey pepperoni pizza
Salad

Sunday
BLTs
Potato salad
Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

sp