Meringues and Handling Cookies at the Holidays

Check out this post from my second, cookie-themed blog:

12daysofcookies.jpgA new and interesting offering today!

Meringues typically fall on the healthy end of the cookie spectrum. They use no flour and, in pure form, no fat. Like angel food cake, the base of these cookies are whipped egg whites, with cream of tartar for stability, sugar for sweetness, and an extract for flavor. Simple, light, yet tasty, too.

If you're trying to make it through the holidays without putting on extra pounds, meringues are one cookie that you can pop several of, guilt free. You won't feel left out of the merriment, and you won't have to leave a trail of half-eaten cookies in your wake.

Still, watch out for the chocolate that coats the bottom of Tyler Florence's spin on the classic meringue kiss. While a plain meringue packs a mere handful of calories, the chocolate coating makes these Snow Peaks more indulgent.

But hey, it's dark chocolate. That's supposed to be healthy these days, isn't it?

Check out today's recipe on Food Network's site, or download Chocolate Covered Snow Peaks into MacGourmet.


Visit The Cookie Book for daily cookie recipes and pointers this December. It's decidedly less healthy than what I post here, but there's a secret: I eat very few of the cookies I bake, especially at the holidays.

I love to bake cookies, so I stockpile them in the freezer to put out at parties and on Christmas Day. The rest then go into gift boxes for friends and family. It's a great deal all around: I indulge my hobby, get a reasonable number of baked goods to indulge in myself, and my loved ones get a homemade gift I've put a lot of thought and effort into producing. A joyous occasion, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

sp