Meals for the Week: Joy of Cooking Edition

I've been pouring over my 75th-anniversary copy of Joy of Cooking lately, marking off classic recipes I'd like to try. To me, there seems to be a surprising amount of convenience-food cooking in Joy, but I grew up with the 90s edition in the house rather than the classic version. Our Joy had a culinary-school pedigree that the new version tries to disavow.

I don't care much either way, honestly. Some days, I feel strongly the importance of using natural ingredients, and those days I stock my freezer with homemade rolls and meatballs. Other days, when I just would rather not devote two hours to making dinner from scratch, I feel grateful for frozen fries and canned creamy soup.

Monday
Whole-grain pancakes
Turkey breakfast sausage
Navel, Cara Cara, and blood oranges
Baked tater tots

Tuesday
Turkey meatball soup
Rolls
Salad

Wednesday
Crepes with chicken, apples, and blue cheese (a Joy recipe)
Frozen veggie mix
Salad

Thursday
Beef tacos
Mexican rice
Black and kidney bean salad

Friday
Sandwiches
Crinkle fries
Salad

Saturday (Valentine's Day)
Rib steak
Potatoes au gratin
Creamed corn
Rolls
Caesar salad

Sunday
Creamed chicken and broccoli over rice
Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

sp