Spiced Banana Smoothie

I've been sick since Friday (which yes, means I spent the Fourth of July in bed rather than at a fun picnic or fireworks show). My nose and throat have picked up some nasty infection that causes me to go through plenty of tissues and tonsil-numbing spray. I need to sit by a vaporizer all day and take antihistamines to get any sleep. And then when I do finally sleep, I end up awaking sometime in the afternoon wondering where everybody is.

Anyway, I've been knocking off cooking a bit. I had others handle Saturday's turkey franks, and I elected to simply roast last night's Cornish hen so I didn't have to baby-sit it.

My appetite is kind of weird. I'm not particularly hungry most of the day, but when I do want to eat, I want something mild or a mostly. I've eaten toast, a danish, half a cinnamon roll, a popsicle, chicken soup -- a lot of sick-person food.

Today, I blended up a breakfast/lunch intended to soothe my achy throat, which hurts most when I first wake up. This Spiced Banana Smoothie is based on a recipe I found on the PBS show Everyday Food's site. I added some cinnamon for extra flavor and frozen yogurt for protein, calcium, and probiotics. And to make it more like a milkshake...

Spiced Banana Smoothie
Adapted loosely from Everyday Food

The measurements are kind of approximate. I started with 1/2 cup milk but it was too thick, so I added some more. The spices I just shook/grated straight into the blender, but you should aim for more cinnamon than nutmeg. Vanilla might not be bad in this, too.

3/4 c. skim milk
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg
1 frozen peeled banana, broken into chunks
2 scoops (about 1/2 c.) Dreyer's/Edy's Tart Honey frozen yogurt

Blend on high until smooth. Pour into a large glass. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

sp