Meals for the Week: Grocery Score

On Sunday, Scott and I made out like bandits at Albertson's. I'd collected a store coupon good for $5 off a $40 purchase, plus there were more coupons in this past week's store flyer good for doubling manufacturer's coupons. Add in a huge sale on mostly Kraft products combined with Kraft giving away tons of coupons in the past month, and we achieved massive savings.

Our receipt, which is about three feet long, rang up $107.90 in purchases (with every item except a small watermelon being on sale). After all our coupons, the total dropped to a mere $63.35. Between the sale savings and coupons, we knocked $152.94 off Albertson's regular (albeit inflated -- this is a regular grocery store, after all) prices.

I have more store coupons I can use at Albertson's, so I may visit again next week if I find another compelling sale. In general, I prefer Costco and Fred Meyer as they offer very good everyday prices in addition to good sales. It took me a few days to strategize the big Albertson's trip for taking maximum advantage of loss leaders, and I'm not keen on putting in so much effort regularly.

I am glad to have access to stores that don't play the typical grocer game of jacking up prices on most items while luring you in with a few huge sale items. I do feel envious of my relatives' access to Aldi, though, which hasn't made it to Seattle. The prices are rock-bottom, and it's just like shopping at the little grocery stores we frequented in East-Central European cities (which makes sense, as there are Aldi stores in Austria and Germany).

Monday
Spaghetti with sausage sauce
Garlic rolls
Salad

Tuesday
Barbecue grilled bone-in chicken breasts
Mixed veggies
Salad

Wednesday
Patty melts
Roasted potatoes
Salad

Thursday
Quesadillas
Corn on the cob
Cucumber salad

Friday
Pork chops and applesauce
Rolls
Salad

Saturday
Risotto with chicken
Salad

Sunday
Cincinnati chili
Spaghetti
Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

sp