Meals for the Week: Favorites and Flashbacks

This week, I included a few well-liked dishes from my days traveling in Europe on our menu. A week or so ago, we found a whole section of Polish foods at a grocery store we don't often frequent, and wonder of wonders, they had a white barszcz mix.

For those who haven't traveled to Poland, it's . . . well, it's hard to say exactly, as I've had trouble finding out how to make it myself. It involves smoked sausage (kielbasa, if you will - but every sausage is "kielbasa" in Eastern/Central Europe) and I think a fermented rye base. Sometimes it comes with a halved hard-cooked egg in it. It's unusual and surprisingly delicious.

We're also having butter chicken. I discovered my love for Indian food in Europe, too, where they're way ahead of the curve compared to us when it comes to appreciating ethnic foods. The slaw I'm making alongside uses garlic pickle, a condiment found with the Indian foods in the store that adds strong and delectable flavor to any veggie.

Friday we'll enjoy a vegetarian version of the traditional English breakfast for dinner. We tucked into something similar every morning when we visited Ireland just after I finished college. It keeps you going for a long, long time . . .

Monday
Enchiladas
Refried black beans
Mexican rice
Salad

Tuesday
Hamburgers
Fries
Thousand island slaw

Wednesday
Butter chicken
Rice
Garlic pickle slaw

Thursday
White barszcz with smoked sausage
Whole-wheat rolls
Salad

Friday
Cheesy eggs
Baked beans
Toast triangles
Sliced tomatoes

Saturday
Turkey breast with gravy
Cranberry sauce
Mixed veggies
Mashed potatoes
Cornbread
Salad

Sunday
Chili
Cornbread
Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

sp